Unit 2 – Types of Video Games
Items In This Unit
- Maze games
- Fighting games
- Platformer games
- First Person Shooter games
- Board games
- Sports games
- Educational games
A video game genre is a specific game classification and is open to subjective interpretation. A particular game may belong to several genres. While there are many video game genres, we will cover some of the more popular game genres.
- The maze game genre is still one of the most popular genres
- It describes any game in which the entire playing field is a maze.
- In order to beat the maze player action is required while escaping and outracing monsters
- Some maze games use time limits as the main challenge
- By far the most popular maze game is Pac-man which has been ported on most if not all popular game consoles as well as arcade machines
- A fighting game genre is perhaps one of the most popular as it is based around close combat between one or more characters, in a fixed or limited environment.
- The characters fight each other until they defeat their opponents or the designated fight time expires.
- Some of the most popular fighting games include:
- Soul Calibur (Bandai Namco Entertainment)
- Streets of Rage (Sega)
- Tekken (Bandai Namco Entertainment)
- Mortal Combat (Mortal Combat)
- Platform games or platformers are subgenres of the action game genre.
- The player-controlled character must jump and climb between suspended platforms while avoiding obstacles.
- The player has some control over jumps and general movement direction to avoid obstacles and/or various enemies.
- The most popular platform game is Nintendo’s Super Mario
First Person Shooter
- Genre for games with gun and/or other weapon combat in a first-person perspective
- The player experiences the action through the eyes of the game’s hero
- Currently one of the most popular genres
This genre is for a video game mimicking real-life board games. Some of the most popular ones include:
- Trivial Pursuit
The sports games genre has come a long way in providing realistic virtual sports action
- Most sports have been recreated with a video game, including team sports, and track and field
- Major sports games publishers include:
- Electronic Arts
- 2K Games
- The educational game’s genre has become a part of many school curriculums
- While not strictly for children, educational games foster the learning of specific subject areas such as Math, English and Sciences
- Educational games reinforce traditional learning
- Educational games use elements of other game genres in an effort to make learning fun and easy